Saturday, August 05, 2006

Post 4V - 4S Match (Total mauling!) =)

Yesterday's match was quite simply, wondrous.

4V 4 - 0 4S
For the first time that I have played for 4V, we played like a TEAM.
Many times in the past have I complained about the lack of team coordination, not being on the end of receiving passes, being isolated on the pitch, people being selfish..
But not yesterday.

And yesterday's match will probably be the ONLY class match that I'll never forget.
Finally, I've found my true self (on the pitch).
Those past matches, I didn't even give in 50% of my effort, I know.
Yesterday still wasn't my best though, I know it as well.
Maybe it was the cramp, but it doesn't really matter to me I guess.
What was notesworthy was, I really played well. I'm not being arrogant or what, but I feel so proud of the team, the class. We may be strangers, but at least, when we come together to work as a team, under pressure probably, we've shown that we can do it.
The class's cheering was so deafening. Really. And to Kat, it's really nice of you to have come down to give us support. =) It was much appreciated. =)

Now this was how the match went.

  1. The 1st goal was scored by Benny. I assisted it! It was Kang Yu's cross I think, that was actually a bit too far, but anyways, I just headed the ball backwards towards the centre. It could be luck that it landed nicely to the feet of Benny, but he managed to pull of the challenges of at least 2 defenders to tuck the ball in sweetly. =) Nice team-play I felt. =)
  2. The 2nd goal was a fluke. Comical goal scored by.. ME! =) It was again, Kang Yu's cross, poor cross it was, that went straight into the hands of Fredrick, but somehow, he dropped the ball. My first instinct was to run up straight to tap in the ball. And I was rewarded. =) Fredrick tried grabbed my leg to prevent me from scoring, but with all the loud cheering behind me, I knew I just had to stretch an inch more to tap the ball just pass the line. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!! =) No glory in that, but I really enjoyed it. =) Sometimes you really just need luck to score those type of goals.
  3. The 3rd goal was scored just a few minutes into the second half. By me again! The 4S defence failed miserably to clear a Guo Hao corner. And there I was at the right place, at the right time, to tuck the ball in from just about 3m out. That really compiled the misery on 4S.
  4. The 4th goal was scored by Benny (which looked like Shawn's goal.. Lolx!). By this time I had already had my muscle cramp, and the attack depended very much on 'The Trio' consisting of Guo Hao, Benny and Shawn, who, by this time was given the freedom to roam about because Jonathan came on for the injured Kang Yu. Kang Yu suffered from what I saw, a quite severe cramp. And because we had used all of our 3 substitutions, I had no choice but to continue playing. =s Anyway back to the goal, it started off with some brilliant dribbling skills that really baffled the defence. His shot was superbly palmed away by their keeper, and like how I scored my goals, Benny too was at the right place at the right time, making the most out of the confusion. =)

And that was how the goals were scored. But what was unthinkable was that 4S didn't convert any of their 3 penalties! The first penalty was of the result of Gabriel's handball, and the second, Kang Yu's handball (he was supposed to clear the corner ball out of the area, but it surprisingly hit him on the arm. I wonder how he did that). The third was an undeserved one for them, because it should have been an indirect freekick for Jonathan handling the ball out of his own area. That was, I suppose, to award them a consolation goal? But who cares? They missed it too. =P

After that I went home with Yu Xiang, talked about some random stuff.. Then had some trouble trying to walk home with just one 'functioning' leg. It's now better, but I hope I will never sustain such cramps again. It's excruciating to get a cramp in the middle of a match. And what's worse is when you are the last man and you can't get subbed out.

I know it's not a problem with warming up. We did warm ups quite thoroughly, even had a lot of time to kick the ball around before the match.

Still, there are somethings that I know I must improve on my soccer. Here's the list of the things I wanna achieve, but for anyone who feels that there's some other aspects that I needa improve on, feel free to leave comments! =)

  • Larger strides
  • Better ball control (I still suck at it)
  • Shooting (still always shooting towards the left! =s)
  • My control technique (I know ppl have opz abt this... But I will change myself kz? =) )

1 comment:

Miss Fors said...

Sup. I'm gonna relink you kay. (: